I had such a hankering for soup last week so I looked in my cabinet and to see what was there. It was raining and my tomatoes weren’t quite red yet; going to the garden wasn’t really an option. I had a carton of chopped tomatoes and brown rice that was already cooked. Oh, and that pesky kale in my fridge that has been guilting me to eat it for the past week- I could use that too. Luckily, LunchBoxBunch had a great recipe for exactly what I needed.
Tomato Kale Soup
- 16 oz (or 2 cups) of chopped tomatoes, pureed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 4-5 stems kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or with an emulsion blender. Pour into a medium pot. Turn the heat to medium high.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, basil and red pepper chili flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the kale has completely wilted.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and brown rice. Cook for 5 minutes, until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!