What a crazy week it’s been! Since the last post I have been cooking up a storm. As to not overwhelm you, I’ll be sure to break it down. Hm… so where did I leave off? Oh yes! Protein!
I decided to lower my wheat intake and increase my protein to see if I felt any better (less tired, less achy, less headaches, more full without over eating). My 5-day personal protein challenge turned out pretty well! It’s great to get back into my good habits, including remembering to take a picture before I gobble it down.
First up- Shayla’s BARCQ Salad! I may need to work on the name. Well, here’s the first protein packed dish I made. I was quite pleased with the tanginess of the vinaigrette and the creaminess from the cheese, black beans and avocado. Feel free to adjust the proportions according to your taste. I always have cooked quinoa in the fridge (I eat it daily with my yogurt) so feel free to omit this item if you don’t have any around.
BARCQ Salad with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 2 tbsp radishes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp quinoa, cooked
- 2 tbsp fresh corn
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/2 black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Crumbled goat cheese, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Toss the lettuce, radishes, corn and quinoa in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together 1 tsp cumin, lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil. Add the black beans and 1 tsp cumin and saute for 3 minutes.
- Top the salad with the black beans, avocado slices, crumbled goat cheese and cumin-lime vinaigrette. Enjoy!