I love the summer. Well, I love the fresh produce in the summer but not the heat. Even though I grew up in the swampy conditions of northern Delaware and South Jersey, I still have not been able to get used to the heat in this area. NYC is no better- most days I find myself huddled in front of the AC for a little reprieve. Nothing beats sweet Jersey corn so I guess I’ll just have to deal with the hot weather!
The tomatoes are from the market but I’m anxiously awaiting for the tomatoes from the garden to be ready. I learned that our tomatoes weren’t getting enough air flow and because it’s been rainy, there’s a bit of bacterial spot. We’re hoping it gets better (even though it’s impossible to get rid of once it’s there). Yesterday I gave the tomatoes a new haircut and today I saw one finally turning from the green it’s been to a hopeful shade of red.
During this kind of weather, I like to keep it simple. After a long but exciting day at the market, I came home and whipped up a quick salad. It’s satisfyingly crunchy and refreshing.
Corn, Tomato & Basil Salad
- Kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the corn, tomatoes, red onion and basil in a bowl.
- Toss with apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!