Who doesn’t love a warm, buttery biscuit? In the past I made vegan Buttermilk Biscuits and they turned out pretty good. Making your own buttermilk (vegan or not) is mind-blowingly easy and can be done without having to run to the store to get buttermilk.
I’m back on the dairy train and trying to perfect some of my favorite recipes. This one is from Smitten Kitchen. You can basically do the same thing with vegan ingredients- what matters is the flour:fat ratio. I served mine with some thyme & garlic scape scrambled eggs. Yum!
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 9 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup + 3 tbsp milk & 2 1/2 tsp vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the butter a few pieces at a time, using your hands to knead it in. The flour will begin to look coarse.
- Stir in the buttermilk. Flour your hands lightly and mix together with your hands.
- On a floured surface, spread the dough out so that it’s about 1/2 inch thick. With a round cutter (I used the 1/4 cup measure), cut out circles and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until the dough is gone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, checking the bottoms so that they don’t catch. Enjoy!