When Mother Nature gives you mealy apples, make applesauce!
- 3 lbs of apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used Gala)
- 1/4 to 1/2 sugar (I recommend 1/4 cup. 1/2 cup was just a bit too sweet)
- 1 cup of water
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 strips of lemon peel
- Bring all of the ingredients to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- When the apples are very tender, remove from heat.
- Pulverize with a potato masher until the big chunks are gone.
- Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon and enjoy!