Roasted Vegetable Pesto Tart
This Thanksgiving turned out wonderfully. We hardly planned what we were making and it still turned out delicious. I made this vegetable tart- it’s sort of like quiche. I definitely want to make this again. Perhaps I’ll make it with butternut squash and sage. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
- 1 crust recipe (or ready made pie crust)
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, caps removed and sliced medium-thick
- 2 tablespoons herb pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 360 F.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and cream in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying. When the oil is heated, add the zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute until almost tender. Add the spinach and cook until almost wilted.
- Mix in the pesto, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Place the crust in the pie pan. there should be a little dough hanging over the edge. Transfer the vegetables to the pie crust. Add 1/4 cup of the cheesee.
- Slowlly pour in the cream mixture. I used only half of it but feel free to use all. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Fold the edge of the dough inward.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush the exposed crust with olive oil or butter.
- Bake at 360 F for 30-40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes- it will be almost like a quiche in texture. Serve warm!