It was my best friend’s birthday this week! I figured a pumpkin cake is the perfect way to kick off the beautiful weather and celebrate this amazing person. Needless to say, this cake was a hit and everyone had a chance to drink/eat their alcohol. The golden raisins are a nice touch- I strongly recommend soaking them for an hour.
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup whisky
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup canned Or fresh pumpkin puree
Whisky Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 2 tablespoons (to 3 tablespoons) sugar
- 2 tablespoons whisky from the raisin-soak
- Preheat to 325 degrees.
- Spray 9×13 inch pan with baking spray or lightly grease with butter. Combine whisky and raisins in a bowl and allow to soak for awhile.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt , baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Add each egg one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add yogurt and pumpkin and mix gently until just combined. Add flour mixture in increments, beating until just combined. Drain raisins and stir in by hand.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Whiskey Whipped Cream:
- Combine ingredients and begin mixing immediately on high speed until stiff, about 4 minutes. Or mix by hand for forever, but hey, at least it’s a good arm workout. Spoon over cooled cake.Garnish with pumpkin seeds and crushed pecans.
Note: The whipped cream is STRONG- eat responsibly.