Tempeh n’ Rice
This dish is sort of like chicken and rice but with tempeh. The tempeh makes it kind of fishy which I thought was interesting and desirable. It took a total of 45 minutes to make and serves 4 hearty servings.
• 2 8oz packages of tempeh, cut longways in half and then cut crosswise into strips
• 4-6 cups of vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups of rice
• 1 tablespoon tumeric
• 1 teaspoon coriander
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• Dash of cayenne pepper or paprika
• 1/4 cup cilantro
• Juice from 1-2 limes
• 2 scallions, chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a deep frying pan, bring 1 cup of broth to a boil. Place tempeh inside, cover, and steam for 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the tempeh.
2. When the tempeh is lightly browned, add spices, the rest of the broth, and rice, stir, and cook until rice is tender. Add more broth as needed to avoid sticking or burning.
3. Garnish with lime juice, cilantro, and add additional seasonings to taste.
Inspired by Mark Bittman’s Chicken and Rice
Sauteed greens recipe will be posted soon!