These cupcakes will make you the star of the office or party. They are spongy and savory with a healthy dollop of sweet maple frosting to round it out to perfection.
• 3/4 cup soy milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 2 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
• 1/4 cup melted vegan margarine
• 1 to 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
• 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Soy milk
• 12 pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Put cupcake liners in the muffin pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar. Set to the side.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, flax, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In another large bowl, mix sugar, canola oil, bourbon, and the soy milk mixture. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir. Batter should be smooth.
5. Pour batter into cupcake liners. Each cupcake should be even (approximately 1/2 way filled). Bake cupcakes for approximately 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool before applying the frosting.
6. To make the frosting, combine butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl. Add more sugar and a dash of soy milk to make frosting smooth. Mix on low speed until frosting is thick and peaking.
7. When the cupcakes have cooled, top with frosting. Garnish with a pecan and enjoy!