These are hands-down the best almond cookies I have ever tried. This recipe is originally from Veganomicon and are truly amazing. The recipe below, the directions, and the picture are all from The Patron Saint of Pie. I had no edits to make or suggestions so you’ll notice the information below is practically verbatim. Click the link for step-by-step pictures!
Vegan Almond Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup rice, soy, or almond milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, spread on a small plate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet.
- Sift together the flour, ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the oil, molasses, milk, sugar, extracts, and sesame oil. Add the flour mixture and mix until a firm dough forms.
- Roll the dough into balls, using about 2 tablespoons of dough apiece. With each ball, press one side into the sliced almonds and place at least 2 inches apart, almond side up, on the cookie sheet. Flatten each dough ball to about an inch thick, using a flat-bottomed 1 cup measuring cup.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are slightly golden brown (I baked for closer to 12 than 15 minutes).
- Allow cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from them sheet. The cookies will be very soft and will continue to firm as they cool. Place on cooling rack to cool completely.