There are a few vegan sites I go to for recipes. One of them is Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. Her recipes are simple, tasty, and healthy. Yesterday, I was craving muffins. Unfortunately, the only store that sells muffins near my work is Dunkin’ Donuts (enough said!) I did a quick search online and found this recipe for carrot spice muffins. Mine were darker than the muffins featured in the picture but they were still delicious!
Carrot Spice Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt (or 4oz)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 3)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a muffins pan or use liners.
- Mix the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl, stir, and slowly add to the dry. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- Spoon batter into the muffins pans (the batter will be thick). Sprinkle a little extra turbinado sugar on top then bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins. Each contains: 132 Calories (kcal); 1 g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 3 g Protein; 30 g Carbohydrate; 0 mg Cholesterol; 244 mg Sodium; 3 g Fiber