I apologize for my absence this week! I haven’t been cooking much due to work and such but I’m slowly getting back into the game. Tonight I wanted something salty and light- what’s better than miso soup paired with a side dish of steamed tempeh and broccoli?
Miso soup is beyond easy. The only difficultly I experienced was finding affordable miso paste. At Fairway in the UES, I found a tub of it for approximately $6.00. That’s not all that bad considering!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks of chopped scallions
- Vegetable of choice (I used ribboned carrots)
- 1/4 block of firm tofu, small cubes
- 2 cups of water + 2 tsp vegetable bouillon (or 1 bouillon cube)
- 3 tbsp miso paste
- Saute the scallions in the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables and the tofu. Cook for 5 minutes. (I used a normal vegetable peeler against a large carrot to create short ribbons)
- Add the broth, stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the miso paste and cook for 10 minutes.
Enjoy this soup with homemade sushi or steamed tempeh with liquid aminos.