After filming a cooking show for my nonprofit organization, I realized I really need to cut back on the sweets. However, it’s the holidays and there are cookies, candies, and all kinds of delicious treats waiting to be had. I decided to try and make a healthy-ish cupcake. Granted, it’s high in fat because of the coconut but there’s not that much sugar in it, it’s whole wheat, and there’s flax. They turned out pretty good- they’re not super sweet and the chocolate chips inside make a delightful surprise as you’re trying to figure how much you love these cupcakes.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon plain soy milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate Coconut Icing
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a larger mixing bowl.
- Mix the dry into the wet ingredients and stir. Batter should be light and airy.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until completely cooked.
- To prepare the icing, combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix together at a high speed until icing is stiff. Add more coconut milk or powdered sugar as needed.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, spread icing and top off with coconut flakes. Enjoy!
Note: They turn out a little dry. I recommend incorporating a bit of apple sauce instead of coconut oil!