Last night, our weekly soup club got together. It was cold outside and we needed some nourishing squash soup to warm us to the core. Nothing can go wrong with good soup, good drink, and good friends.
We ate this soup with Orwasher’s onion rolls, heated and topped with butter.
Curry, Coconut, and Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 cups of water + 2-3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (or fresh if you are so inclined!)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Saute onions in a large stockpot until translucent.
- Add water, bouillon cubes, squash, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, cook until tender.
- in a food processor, scoop squash and some broth. Blend until creamy. If you are using a hand blender, remove most of the broth and reserve it in another bowl.
- Because of the size of my food processor, I have to do this in batches. Once everything was blended, I added the coconut milk. Then I blended again. The soup should be creamy.
- Bring back to the pot and heat. Taste the soup and add more salt, curry, etc until it tastes the way you want it. You’ll be surprised how different the soup is by adding just a bit more salt…
- Top with parsley and enjoy! Namaste.