It’s fall and that means everything needs to have spice. Muffins, cupcakes, cookies, breads- all reminiscent of the cooling weather and change of leaves. I find that spiced baked goods definitely have a place at this time of year. I also find that sometimes, they can be predictable. The cocoa in this recipe compliments the nutmeg and the sugary layer on the outside make a satisfying treat. Feel free to add chocolate chips or walnuts. They are very similar to drop cookies so make sure they can still be rolled into spheres!
- 1 1/2 cups flour + 1 tbsp
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger (fresh is great!)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (or allspice if you need to substitute)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses (add 1 tbsp if mix is too dry)
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 tsp hot water
- bowl of granulated sugar
1. Add all dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix.
2. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl that is larger. Mix.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring.
4. Roll into small balls and throw into a bowl of granulated sugar.
5. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Dough will crack on top. Enjoy!